As you may have heard, we Indiebound stores are changing our e-book sales from Google to Kobo. We're very excited!
First of all, let us reassure those of you who have purchased Google e-books that your books are still – and to the best of our knowledge – will always be available to you. Thank you for your purchases!
But there are several things about Kobo that we believe will be better for us and for you:
1. Kobo is an international distributor. Unlike some readers, you can buy e-books for one of its readers from anywhere in the world, not just the US. It is a global system.
2. You can buy Kobo e-books for any e-reader (except, of course, Kindles).
3. Kobo has won the “Wired” award for best device, awared by the highly respected tech magazine, Wired. You know that's a good thing.
4. We will be selling the actual readers as well as e-books! That's right, you can purchase any of the four types of Kobo e-readers directly from us, and when you do, we automatically get credit for all your purchases, so you're supporting us AND enjoying quality e-reading. Click here to see the specs on the Kobo choices.)
5. The device prices are sweet. The least expensive is the Mini, at $79.99, and the most expensive will be the Arc tablet, which tops out at $249.99. At first, there are just the Mini and the Glow ($129), and the next two types will be coming possibly as soon as next month, certainly early next year.
6. Kobo is dedicated to books, unlike Google which obviously is interested in everything. We believe that Kobo will provide a more stable platform for your e-reading, and that their tech support is going to be much more available to you, although we'll do our best to help you out as best we can, should you run into a problem.
7. Kobo gives back. They have a program you can sign up for that will track the hours you spend reading on their devices and will convert them into a contribution to the literary organization of your choice. They really DO support reading!
There's going to be a time of transition, but ABA is working with us and Kobo to make this transition as seamless as possible. We may even have everything up and running as soon as next week! We'll have a display case with two types of the readers available for your perusal here at the shop in the not-too-distant future.
We'll have the Mini and the Glo here for you, but we'll have information on the Touch and the Arc available here in the store and on our website.
It's not too early to reserve a reader for a holiday gift, even though we're not ready to place the device in your hands. But remember, it's always better to reserve one in advance than wait till the last minute! We look forward to this new partnership, and we hope you will too!